Sunday 20 May 2007

Virgin still slow

With Virgin Media busy showing off their 20Mbps cable Internet service, I am still wondering why I'm paying for 10Mbps and getting a tenth of the speed. An engineer has been out to fix an apparent problem with the cable's power level, making no difference whatsoever. The problem is blatantly one of contention. A lot of other people in my area must be hogging all the bandwidth with their excessive YouTube watching and other needless activities, and I figure Virgin must just lack the capacity.

The official Virgin solution to the problem? Wait until my cable exchange (the bit where all the cables feed into) gets upgraded to accommodate the new 20Mbps service. When will that be happening? Nobody can tell me, except that it is "soon." Great. What will happen then? My bandwidth at peak times will increase from 1Mbps to 2Mbps? By then, you'll need a 10 meg connection just to browse the web. I wouldn't stand for it if I ordered a pizza and it came with nine of the ten slices missing, but there's very little I can do to push Virgin Media into giving me what I'm paying for.

On the plus side, they are offering me a refund for the slow service, although that's not going to help it get any faster.

No comments: